Global Competency Diploma
Global Education provides students with the skills, attitudes, and knowledge necessary to participate in an increasingly interdependent world. Through immersion and the study of culture, foreign language, multi-cultural and international issues, students acquire skills and perspectives that equip them to become life-long, active participants in our global community, while also demonstrating an appreciation of cultural diversity and global responsibility.
Rationale: The purpose of the program is to promote global awareness in our graduates we will offer a special diploma option to students beginning with the Class of 2013.
The following are the components that must be achieved and the criteria that must be met in order to obtain a Global Competency Diploma.
1. Academic Component
Foreign Language Study
- Students must take four years in the same language during high school and maintain at least a C average
- Course of Study
- Students must take and earn credit in the categories of Global Economics and Research, Global Cultural Literacy, and Global Ethics. Approved courses in the High School Program of Studies are indicated by the globe icon þ.
- Sample courses that meet these requirements are as follows:
Global Economics & Research
Global Cultural Literacy*
*each course can be used for a maximum of two semesters
2. Community Service Component
- Students must complete 30 hours out of the required 40 in multi-cultural community service (programs serving other cultures/ethnicities).
- The Community Service hours must expose the student to another world culture and should ideally employ their foreign language skills.
- Community service hours should be pre-approved. However, proposals can be submitted for approval retro-actively while the student is in high school.
3. Foreign Travel Component
- Approved programs must provide an international experience in which students will challenge themselves to connect and interact directly with the culture and the people.
- Examples of such experiences include: school sponsored exchange/trip, and/or pre-approved family/individual trip with educational and cultural components.
4. Global Focus Portfolio
5. Global Senior Project
6. Cultural Experience